• synchro.net port configuration

From echicken@VERT/ECBBS to Mark i on Monday, September 02, 2024 21:01:59
    Re: synchro.net port configuration
    By: Mark i to All on Mon Sep 02 2024 07:10:53

when i advertise the BBS i can put blackf.synchro.net:2900 but I thought maybe there was a way to automatically have it do it like in dyndns.org

There is no way to do this, unfortunately. We can do this with HTTP because there's a hostname in the request header, but there's no such thing with telnet.

If you have a different public IP address to put blackf on, then you could just use port 23 of that address.

You could put a front-end in front of both telnet servers (eg. another instance of Synchronet), have it listen on port 23, and let users choose either Battlestar or blackf when they connect (then handle the final hop with telgate).

Beyond that I can only think of increasingly hacky solutions, some of which include using a server away from your home with a separate address.

echicken
    electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Mark i on Wednesday, September 04, 2024 21:54:50
    Re: synchro.net port configuration
    By: Mark i to All on Mon Sep 02 2024 07:10 am

Hi everyone. I currently am using the domain blackf.synchro.net. this domain ispointing to port 23 which currently runs my other BBS Battlestar.

domain's (hostnames) don't "point to" ports. The only exception to that statemetn I'm aware of are DNS SRV records (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRV_record) but those records (DNS SRV) aren't usually sued by Telnet, SSH, or Rlogin clients, that I'm aware of.

How can
    I specify blackf.synchro.net to point to port 2900 instead of 23? Is it possible in the configuration file or in the command line? I know when i advertise the BBS i can put blackf.synchro.net:2900 but I thought maybe there was a way to automatically have it do it like in dyndns.org

No. I can't imagine dyndns.org could "do it automatically" either. Perhaps you're thinking of http redirection in that case.
    --
    digital man (rob)

Steven Wright quote #7:
    A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
    Norco, CA WX: 90.1øF, 29.0% humidity, 0 mph WNW wind, 0.00 inches rain/24hrs ---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net